Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nahnakidehmik Ehjookayshun

In all honesty, I find the nonacademic portion of my education to be much more important than the academic portion purely because of my personal goals in life. I'm not incredibly ambitious as far as money or real estate go; I could live with a 1 room apartment with a Directv HD hookup and Tivo, so receiving a prestigious degree is not a necesity (although getting one sure wouldn't hurt). However, I value both my social skills and general life skills to a great degree, and these are greatly affected by my nonacademic education. I do believe though that the two are somewhat intertwined, because social skills and peer relations are very important in the classroom. I think AP English is an excellent example of a class where if you don't know how to interact with peers or teachers, the experience of the class will be less powerful and meaningful. I for one would enjoy the class much less if I was unable to effectively speak my mind and ask questions. Because of my nonacademic education, my experience in academic education has improved, and this is why I value the nonacademic portion so highly.

1 comment:

Jessica Ledyard said...

Brian,

I agree with what you say about how important social and general life skills are to an individual. What you're taught in school isn't always going to be what sticks with you later in life, but the experience of it all will. I also agree that AP English is one class that encourages people to ask questions and think outside the box, which helps make it such a powerful class.

Good blog!