Monday, November 9, 2009

Ahnestee phur Kredibyllitee

"And I was so selfish. I thought more of what I had lost, than of what my brother had gained. A new anxiety began to trouble me." In this passage, Linda is referencing the escape of her brother from the friendly captivity, yet captivity nevertheless, of Mr. Sands. Linda's honesty is important in this passage due to the fact that William's escape does not necessarily please here even though he is free, because she found the relationship between her and her brother to be more important than the freedom of one party or the other. This is a fairly common notion in slave culture at the time: that the sense of community between all of the slaves on a certain plantation is more important than the rights of individual members of the group, something that would not be expected in a situation like theirs.

FREE PHILTHY RICH!!!

No comments: