Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jenndurr

My grandpa makes brownies. Absolutely fantastic brownies. I would vouch for the fact that these brownies are the best brownies in all of Delaware County (I don't know how much that means). However, much of society would find it quite odd that a man would be a brownie maker, let alone a good one. However, my grandpa is very proud of his brownies and would gladly share them with anyone. What I find interesting about gender stereotypes is that in this particular case, my grandpa is totally unashamed of his actions. But I could never imagine my grandpa wearing a dress, and I am sure he would never wear one in public. I think it's funny not only to picture my grandpa in a dress, but to also view the differences between the subcategories of gender stereotypes.

1 comment:

Kwame Newton said...

I hope those brownies are legal.







I really think you hit on an interesting aspect of gender roles; the ones that are more directly and specifically prescribed are the ones that are more taboo to break. Barbies are marketed specifically toward girls, and boys playing with the dolls would be ridiculed; cooking is something that is a basic skill in life, thus people don't find it as strange when males cook.