Friday, November 21, 2008

The Shining

The Shining is one of the best books that I have read in a long time, especially the characters. I have never read a book that gave such depth to each character, where you have a full understanding of how the character thinks and feels. I really like King’s style of writing in this book because he makes the Torrance family feel like a real regular family, even as they are going through supernatural events. As their stay in Overlook Hotel turned sour, I felt the family’s pain and frustration with the hotel, their family situation, and life in general.
Jack Torrance was a special character for me. For some reason, I really related to Jack and the struggles he had throughout his life. King did a good job of wrapping me into Jack’s slow descent into madness, incorporating good flashbacks that gave important insight into what made Jack Jack. I thought King mixed in these flashbacks well with the present time. Jack’s character really drew me in because of his realness. As with all of King’s other characters, Jack felt as if he could be a real life person. His frustration with his lack of support for the family and the position he had put them in, as well as his desire to do the right thing for them, created a sense of emotions that not many other characters ever have. King’s insight into Jack’s mind as events were happening and his painful memories created an understanding of and involvement with the character.

No comments: