Wednesday, November 5, 2008

School is worthless

Although it somewhat depends on the career you choose, the majority of what you learn in school is totally irrelevant to most people’s lives. Eventually, each person has to choose a career path to follow, and it would be almost impossible for this career to involve everything that you learn in school. Take my schedule for example. I find it very hard to imagine a work scenario where I would need Chemistry, Music Theory, and Ancient Greece knowledge in one job. It is very possible that I would need the skills I have learned in just one of these classes, or maybe none of them at all. However, I don’t believe that there is much room for improvement of our education. The only alternative I can see to introducing all of these classes at one time to students is having the students pick everything. However, I know that at several points in my educational career, I wouldn’t have really known what I wanted to do, and having a decision that would affect the rest of my life would not have been the best thing for me at the time. Looking back, if I had been made to eliminate several possible careers by not picking them as classes, I would have freaked and probably made bad decisions about my future. I’m not sure if there is any other format of education that would better introduce the students to possible interests and careers that would better relate directly to what each student will do later on in life. Children advance at different levels, so it is tough to determine the difficulty of the curriculum and the amount of work required for each student.

1 comment:

Kwame Newton said...

School is worthless? I was thinking more along the lines of you.